Hi all, I was kind of inspired by Ami-nyan to write about this, but I've also been wanting to sit down and write about it in general since I think that will help me a bit, as well as help you!
Firstly, I have never sought professional help and therefore do not have any diagnosis regarding depression.
According to the internet, my depression is mild-moderate. I would agree with this only because my depression is very much periodical rather than constant. I normally go a few weeks feeling fine, and then it crashes down on me, for about two weeks, and I get knocked into this horrible downward spiral. It's also quite bad when I'm in the period, and then that time of the month comes.
I cannot stop these periods from coming. I cannot control my emotions when they happen.
I understand they are "phases" and will go away but in the moment the only reality is the upsetting, the dread, and the feelings of loneliness, hopelessness, and occasional thoughts of suicide are very real and amplified.
These "phases" have been constantly happening since I was about 11. They were worse and prolonged when I was about 13-16.
So since I am not always in this hole, I do drag myself out, and I wanted to give everyone a few tips if the above sounds like you.
1. Don't try to sweep under the rug the reason for your upset. There is a reason. And you know it, but don't want to admit it to yourself or anyone else, right? You need to admit it. You need to be upset and cry and then you must accept that this reason is not something you can change. Then you move on.
2. Talk to people. Participate in threads online. Doesn't matter if you know the people in real life. Leave positive or constructive comments. CONVERSE, do not ARGUE. Do not start arguments or fights. Do not insult anyone. If you do, it will only be negative backlash at you and put you right back to square one.
You don't have any friends, or think you are awkward and don't know how to talk to others? Send me a message and I will try my best to help you and give you some tips.
3. DO something. CREATE something.What do you like? Do you like makeup, dressing up, singing? Do you like to paint or draw? Join groups with like-minded people. On facebook or other sites. Share your work! Discuss others' work. START A BLOG. Start a YouTube channel. Think of things you find are positive that you want others to experience and enjoy. Not feeling creative? That's ok. Reorganize your drawers, your closet. Clean your room. Throw out old stuff that you know you'll never use or wear again! Or, start playing a video game. Any game with several hours or even days of gameplay. Start reading a trilogy. Start watching a tv series with several seasons.
4. It's OKAY TO BE UPSET. It's ok to cry uncontrollably. Don't hold these emotions in. If they want out, they need to come out. If you are upset with someone, TALK TO THEM. Don't bottle it up, the bitterness or resentment will grow and grow and eat at you.
5. Last but not least....EAT HEALTHY. If you can, go to the gym with someone. If you are a comfort eater, which I also am, and you need to eat to feel better that's ok, but DON'T EAT THE WHOLE BAG OF MINI SNICKERS. I know they're delicious, trust me. BUT after your depressive period is over you're gonna be upset about being fatter and off to that downspiral you go AGAIN. So, eat healthy. Yes, snack at times but not all day. Go to the gym, work out hard, release the tension. FEEL THE BURN!!
But seriously guys, eat your fruits and veggies. Do not consume alcohol or illegal substances.
Anyway, these are just a few things you can do but...you have to actually do them. You can't lay in bed all day, moping. You can't keep thinking about how miserable you are. Yes, you're miserable and don't want to do anything when you're depressed. But you got to move and you got to move forward if you want to get out of that rut.Allow yourself some few days to mope. Then get up and make yourself do something.
I know that when you're depressed, you're depressed and nothing else matters anymore. But I also know that you don't want to be in that dark place, you want to get out. This is all the motivation you need. Even if it's little by little, you just need to TRY.
Lots of love,