Today I'd like to share my excitement with you over the super new Nexus 5!!
No, I am not going to post any photos or videos as I intended to because there are many, very good reviews and unboxing vids up on YouTube, in HD, that you can take a look at (in your free time, most are 10mins+!).
I'd just like to make a few key points that I have noticed thus far, you may or may not like these features.
- No Navigation app. Maps is the new version and NO you CANNOT install 6.14 without rooting/toolkit. (There is one readily available right here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2525026). I recommend the Waze app, it's super cute and has so many settings--next best thing to 6.14 maps. (Thanks to my boo for installing the app for me!)
- No zoom on wallpaper. On my previous phone I did have a custom rom but it was ICS based, and you know how it lets you position over any image, zoom in or out, to how you want the wallpaper to fit? NOT HERE. You can choose what part of the wallpaper you want, but you cannot crop it or zoom.
- No messaging app. The default SMS app is Hangouts.
- Notification light color can be changed! I don't think there is an option to do so in the phone settings, but if you download GO SMS Pro, you can set a color for individuals or as default, AND adjust the blink rate! The Nexus 5 is not the only phone with this feature, but it's pretty cool!
- Camera settings take more taps to reach. If you're like me and like to easily switch between front camera and back camera, or to quickly change exposure/white balance, then you will find the camera app slightly annoying. You have to go into settings to change from front to back, etc. Furthermore, whatever camera you left it on last is the camera that will activate when you open the app again.
- Pretty decent sound! I am satisfied with both the speaker and the handset sound. Both are crisp and clear. However, you will find, as with most speakers, that if you listen to music witht he volume ALL the way up on speaker, it will sound a bit distorted.
- Battery life. The battery is quite an upgrade from my previous phone (HTC Sensation 4G). I did not have to charge it even once at work.It charges pretty quickly!
- Home screens. Can be added only by long pressing apps from your app drawer and dragging them to the screen all the way to the right that is partially showing.
- "OK Google!" is probably one of my favorite features--it's actually not a new feature, HTC phones have had it before, just simple voice commands, but Google Now looks so much cooler AND it talks back to you!
- Service issues. Now this may just be because my carrier is T-Mobile, but if yours is too, keep in mind the following:
I always have at least 3 bars in my room. Since I got this phone I have 1-2 bars if the WiFi is on, and LTE is on. If I turn off both LTE and WiFi I will have 3-4 bars and 3G/3G+. The LTE is pretty fast but I didn't have time to run a speed test because I hit my data cap for the month.
- MicroSIM. If you have T-Mobile and have a regular SIM card, you can toss it right out and go buy a MicroSIM because that's the only thing that'll fit! On the website it costs $10 but in store it costs $20 + a free pair of Skullcandy earphones in a color of your choice (of course, I got pink!).
- Great for multitasking! As someone who switches from the internet browser to SMS to camera, or anything else quite frequently, it was pretty frustrating with my Sensation because of the constant lag and crashing. So far, the Nexus 5 is FAST and runs very smoothly.
- Display. The screen is very sharp and vibrant, it is 1080p! All colors and text are sharp and vibrant, and admittedly it is easier for me to see/more relaxing on my eyes (I wear glasses).
So I've only had a chance to play with the phone for a couple of days and perhaps this post is a bit too soon, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads-up to some of the pros and cons I've experienced. If you'd like a full, hands-on review, definitely search on YouTube, there are even reviews on the camera quality. It's not the best camera but it is much better than my Sensation's. Way better. Pictues are crisp and clear and the white balance sensor is very good too.
Anyway that's all for now! If you have any questions feel free to comment or send me a message!